WHALE HUNTING FUNDAMENTALS
A PROVEN PROCESS
TO TRANSFORM LARGE-ACCOUNT SALES
If you have as many as 50 employees, we encourage you to convene all of them for the first day Whale Hunting workshop at your location or a suitable local venue. The outcome is that everyone in your company becomes focused on finding, hunting, and especially harvesting–serving–the whales. You learn to do that routinely, building a powerful sales culture in your company that enables you to land and harvest whales. In time our revenues will explode, and your market position will rise.
For larger companies, we work with the entire management team, all of the sales and marketing people, and key leaders in customer-facing areas like project management, consulting, customer service, training, product development, in a workshop group of 30-50
The Whale Hunters Process™ is a model for collaborative business development that helps companies grow exponentially. Your engagement with The Whale Hunters team moves your company forward in translating the model into a specific process map for your company. We have developed a specific methodology to deliver The Whale Hunters Process™ to your team and coach you through the early stages of implementation. The components of this method are defined below. It focuses on Scouting and Hunting, and when you have concluded this engagement, you will have a complete scouting and hunting process implemented in your company.
The Whale Hunters Business Development Index is an online survey of your team’s perspective on your current status of business development. It can be completed by everyone in your company. Results will be delivered to senior management in a format suitable for circulation. This index can be repeated at 6-month intervals, giving you an independent measure of your business development progress. It does not measure your bottom line ROI (we will do that in other ways) but it measures your employees’ understanding of your business processes, goals, and growth culture.
INTRODUCE WHALE HUNTING FUNDAMENTALS
The initial 2-day visit includes the following components, beginning with a one-day all-hands workshop followed by a second day of smaller group training and discussions activities.
- The Whale Hunters Story™ –The Inuit Whale Hunters, basis of the metaphor
- Company Culture– Comparison of Inuit culture to your company’s culture
- The Whale Hunters Process™– phases, roles, and responsibilities
- The Business Development Index– Baseline to measure results
- The Brand Promise Audit– Compare your brand promise to competitors
- Target Filter– Criteria and metrics to define ideal customers
- The Buyers’ Table– Locate and understanding buyers/influencers
- Whale Fears– Determine what big-deal buyers fear about you
- Fear Busters– Identify tangible materials to alleviate fears
TRAIN THE SCOUTS/SCOUTING PROCESS
This work requires a half-day session with selected members of your leadership team and the person or people that you designate to manage the scouting process. The scouts are the ones who conduct research to complete the list of whale targets (whale chart) and then complete dossiers on selected whales. They can come from marketing or sales enablement or administrative functions. We will work with you to make your selections and will teach whomever you select to conduct initial research and to manage this process. One or more senior leaders should also participate in this workshop to ensure that you can oversee this work and modify processes when necessary.
BUILD THE SALES PROCESS MAP
The second two-day visit requires a full day session with the cross-functional team and a series of meetings the following day with groups or individuals, as needed, to be determined later. The following components are included:
- Review–Target Filter, Whale Chart, and Fear Busters
- Progressive Discovery/Disclosure– Design all steps in your sales process map
- Smart Conversations– How to get the information you need
- Power Your Boat– How to teach and involve subject matter experts
- The Big Show– Overview of presentation and visit strategies
- The Road Show– Presentation strategies at their location(s) or via digital meeting
REFINE THE SALES MAP
Following the workshop, we will coach your team to test and refine the sales process map and review how to manage the process. This work will be completed through phone, email and webinars.
Follow-up services are available, including management team coaching, sales team coaching, and deal coaching.