The Whale Hunters Process™ is a proven process to transform large-account sales and a model for collaborative business development that helps companies grow exponentially. Your engagement with The Whale Hunters team moves you forward in translating the model into a specific process map for your company.
We have developed what we call The Whale Hunters System methodology to deliver The Whale Hunters Process™ to your team and ensure that you implement the entire process. This program is deeper, more comprehensive and more intensified that Whale Hunting Fundamentals. The components of this method are defined below. It includes Scouting, Hunting, and the early parts of Harvesting. When you have concluded this engagement, you will have translated The Whale Hunters Process into your company’s map and you will have implemented the components in a surface manner. How deep your implementation goes will depend upon how well you reinforce and follow-up on what you have learned, which is why we recommend a six-month period of follow-up coaching.
The Whale Hunters Business Development Index is an online survey of your team’s perspective on your current status of business development. It can be completed by everyone in your company. Results will be delivered to senior management in a format suitable for circulation. This index can be repeated at 6-month intervals, giving you an independent measure of your business development progress. It does not measure your bottom line ROI (we will do that in other ways) but it measures your employees’ understanding of your business processes, goals, and growth culture.
ONSITE WORKSHOP ONE
The program begins with a two-day workshop at your place of business or a suitable offsite location. It requires the participation of your cross-functional leadership team, who represent all departments and functional areas of your company. We consult with you ahead of time about how to select participants. These workshops introduce the entire process but focus on building the collaborative tools of Scouting and Hunting.
Workshop Format is typically one and one-half days with the entire team and 1/2 day with the Scout Team separately and the Management Team separately. The Workshop includes the following topics:
- The Whale Hunters Story™ –The Inuit Whale Hunters, basis of the metaphor
- Company Culture– Comparison of Inuit culture to your company’s culture
- The Whale Hunters Process™– Phases, roles, and responsibilities
- The Business Development Index– Baseline to measure results
- The Brand Promise Audit– Compare your brand promise to competitors
- Target Filter– Criteria and metrics to define ideal customers
- The Scouting Research Process–Find and Research Target Customers
- The Buyers’ Table– Locate and understanding buyers/influencers
- Whale Fears– Determine what big-deal buyers fear about you
- Fear Busters– Identify tangible materials to alleviate fears
- Progressive Discovery/Disclosure– Design all steps in your sales process map
- Power Your Boat– How to teach and involve subject matter experts
- Consult on Technology Tools, if needed
INTERIM PERIOD: REFINE THE WHALE HUNTING TOOLS
Following the first workshop, we will provide a 30-to 60-day follow-up period during which we will coach your designated team leader(s) to test, refine, and complete all of the tools developed for your company and review with you how to manage the process. This work will be completed through phone, email Skype, and/or GoToWebinar as most appropriate. Each tool will be completed to your satisfaction for integration with your CRM, SOP, or other management tools. The goal is to implement the Scouting Process and begin implementation of the Sales Process steps into your CRM.
ONSITE WORKSHOP TWO
This workshop reconvenes the entire group that participated in Workshop One. We present a recap of all the work your group produced, now refined in the form of usable tools, processes, and documents. The time is then devoted to completing the Hunt process and moving into Harvest by developing a comprehensive Onboarding Plan for new large accounts. The group also considers the potential role of a Village Council devoted to Whale Hunting communications. Workshop Two agenda includes:
- Key Account Planning
- Call Planning
- Closing the Deal
- Contact Negotiations
- Sewing the Mouth Shut
- Bring the Whale Onboard
- The Trust Cycle
- New Business with Key Accounts
- Balancing Problems with Opportunities
WRAP-UP: COMPLETE THE PROCESS
Following the first workshop, we will provide a 30-to 60-day follow-up period during which we will coach your designated team leader(s) to test, refine, and complete all of the tools developed for your company and review with you how to manage the process. This work will be completed through phone, email Skype, and/or GoToWebinar as most appropriate. Each tool will be completed to your satisfaction for integration with your CRM, SOP, or other management tools. The goal is finish all the draft work that was started during the workshop and ensure that all longer-term work has been identified and assigned.
RECOMMENDED: FOLLOW-UP IMPLEMENTATION COACHING
Once your tools are complete and in place, we recommend a six-month period of virtual coaching with your leadership team and sales team to ensure that you get the greatest possible value from the initial workshop training and tools. Only when you put new tools into practice will the Whale Hunting model become a way of life for your company. Implementation Coaching is an optional purchase and is priced separately, after your team has had a chance to experience the value of the initial program.
OPTIONS FOR DELIVERY OF THE WHALE HUNTERS SYSTEM
- We can deliver all or part of this program in live virtual formats or online formats.
- If your company does a lot of business through the RFP process, we can customize the workshop to address that need or add a one-day “Winning with an RFP” workshop for the sales and marketing team.
- We can customize the entire workshop for a company whose business is with state, local, or federal government agencies.
- We offer a complete “Done for You” Scouting Service if you prefer to outsource your Whale Hunting research needs, short term (to get a fast start) or longer term.